Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Karin, when's Emmett going to be a big boy?

The last two times that I've hung out with my friend Elaine and her kids, her 4-year-old son has asked me the same question (usually repeatedly): "Karin, when's he going to be a big boy?" (Before Emmett was born, Van's favorite question for me was, "Karin, when are you going have that baby?" I guess this is the post-natal version.)

We've given him various answers, such as "oh, I'm in no rush for that" or "how long did it take you to become a big boy?" Certainly there are times when I want him to reach certain milestones quickly (like the very useful ability to hold his own head up!) but then I have to remember just how great and adorable and cool he is at the stage he's at right now.

However, maybe he is going to be a big boy sooner than I think! At today's appointment with the pediatrician, he was 9 lbs and 13 ounces, up from his birth weight of 7 pounds 8 ounces. Since his current hobbies consist of eating, spitting up, eating, pulling my hair, eating, and also eating, I'm not surprised that he's steadily gaining weight. But it's also another reminder of how fast babies can grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment