Friday, January 14, 2011

Around This Time Last Year

On the Friday before Martin Luther King day in 2010, I saw Emmett for the first time. That was the day that Adam and I went in for our first ultrasound and genetic counseling. I didn't blog about it at the time since my pregnancy was still classified information at that point. I remember being all vague at work about how I had to go to some appointment and wouldn't be back that afternoon.

When we first saw Emmett on the screen, I remember being just so surprised to see him moving around in there. This was long before I felt any movement at all, and I hadn't been feeling particularly pregnant up to that point (other than that whole "needing to pee constantly" thing). In these early ultrasounds, they need to take very specific pictures so that they can do measurements, and it can take some time to get pictures at the right angle, so we ended up getting to watch him for a long time, probably about 20 minutes. (I feel weird saying "him" since we didn't know yet that Emmett was male--that piece of information was revealed at the next ultrasound.) I definitely could have watched it all day.

The biggest thing about the experience was just how it finally felt real. I hadn't heard a heartbeat yet at that point, due to timing of appointments. We decided that we still wouldn't tell the masses about the pregnancy until after we got back the results from a blood draw, but I was practically bursting with excitement. We were at a really boozy party later that evening and it was really hard not to tell people right there and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment