Friday, January 21, 2011

Amassing More Fairly-Useless Knowledge

I'm not going to say that pronunciation is not important. In my line of work, we spend a lot of time making sure that our students can avoid making embarrassing pronunciation mistakes (such as using the wrong vowel sound in words like "sheet" or "beach"). And while I think the pronunciation of names is extremely important when it comes to names of actual people that I'd actually talk to, I honestly get a little bit annoyed at the idea that--among everything else I'm supposed to suddenly know-- I am supposed to learn to correctly pronounce the names of all of the baby brands that are out there.

Basically, it seems that a vast majority of baby products either have Incredibly Stupid Names (such as Boppy) or names with pronunciation traps (like Chicco, which apparently does not use the "ch" sound in church). I was reminded of this when I read this blog post today. I'd read a similar article in one of those waiting room baby magazines around a year ago, and I think I recall seeing something similar on Babycenter as well.

I'm sure there are people who find these types of articles genuinely helpful, but really, not only do I not spend that much time talking about brand-name baby merchandise...I don't really want to BE someone who spends that much time conversing about baby products by brand name. I feel like I already am a lame enough conversationalist as it is without getting that particular about things. I actually found myself correcting Adam's pronunciation of a baby product name the other day and realize that I'd reached a whole new level of Mommy Information Overload.

I sometimes really miss my old brain. I used to be able to remember song lyrics really well. I used to retain information better. While I know that in theory there's plenty of brain space for all of the miscellaneous baby information I keep encountering, I really want to be someone who uses her brain space for things less trivial than the syllable stress of my stroller brand.

2 comments:

  1. My elder son is nearly 5. I had no idea that "Chicco" was pronounced "kee-ko" or whatever. Good thing I never had anything from that line. I mispronounced "Peg Perego" for nearly a year, though, and we did (do) have a Peg Perego stroller.

    But I hear you. I hear you soooo loud and clear. I used to retain actual useful information much better, too. I am hoping that, once my kids are older, I can forget how "Peg Perego" and "Chicco" are pronounced, and begin to refill that brainspace with more interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Stride Rite toddler shoe brand "Robeez" is apparently pronounced with the short o, and here I was saying "Robe-eez." I also didn't know about the Chicco's thing. Is Graco pronounced "Grack-o" or "Gray-co"? And why do I care?

    ReplyDelete